Friday, October 21, 2011

Spinach Alfredo Pasta with Garlic prawns

Since my parents gave us some prawns to take home last week, I figured I'd make them for our Friday meal.  I am sure there are some great spinach alfredo recipes out there, but I just didn't have the energy or interest to go looking for one tonight when I figured I could wing it. 


I did have more prawns than this, but I was trying to make a fancy looking picture!

This is another one of those really simple meals that someone would probably pay a good $13-15 for at a chain restaurant.  This also probably has 1000 less calories or 1000 less mg of sodium or something crazy like that.  Sometimes Jon finds nutrition facts at the restaurants we go to and I always wonder how the heck they get all that stuff in there.  How on earth can you fit that much fat and sodium into some dishes?  It's crazy. 

I really hate when he finds the nutrition facts.  Hee hee! 

But anyways, tonight I was looking for a way to fit in some spinach and I thought it would work well in a garlic alfredo type sauce and I am pretty sure that seafood and pasta with white sauce have been friends for a long time.  The great thing about spinach is that you can't taste it when it's cooked, so it's like sneaking in veggies (except you can still see them of course).  Oh and I probably would have used linguine or penne, but I only had this vegetable radiatore laying around, so the presentation wasn't as lovely.  But hey, it tasted good, and that's what matters most.  Sorry, no procedure pictures tonight.  I was in a rush and my hands were pretty goey from handling the prawns and trying to de-shell them.  So here's what I did.

Spinach Alfredo Pasta with Garlic Prawns
(I winged it, I'm sure you can find a recipe for it somewhere on the internet)

Ingredients

Sauce
1/2 c half and half
1c milk
1c chopped spinach
1/2c shredded parmigiano reggiano
3-4 cloves of garlic minced
2tbsp butter
3tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste.

Prawns
1lb Prawns
1tbsp butter
2 cloves of garlic (or 1tsp garlic powder)
salt and pepper to taste


Sauce Method
1.  Saute the garlic and butter on medium-low in a saucepan.  Once the garlic has softened as is fragrant add all the chopped spinach.

2.  Mix together the flour and half and half until there are no more lumps.  It's better to add the liquid into the flour slowly so you can prevent clumping.

3.  When the spinach is wilted and some of the liquid (if any) from the spinach has cooked off add the half and half mixture and the milk.  Increase the temperature to medium.

4.  Continue stirring until it has thickened slightly and then add in the parmigiano reggiano.  Stir until everything is combined and the sauce is thick.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Prawn Method
1.  Heat a saute pan to medium heat and add your prawns.

2.  When the prawns are almost completely pink add the butter and garlic and continue sauteeing until the prawns are fully cooked.

3.  Season with salt and pepper.

Serve the prawns with the pasta and sauce. 

See?  Easy right? 
Enjoy!


In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear God,
   please bless the efforts of 40 days for life and help everyone in this country realize the beauty of the gift of life and the horror of abortion.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment