Monday, October 17, 2011

Cream Puffs!

This weekend we went up to the Great White North to visit my family for my mom's birthday.  Our food spread was a little insane.  Dad made some awesome steaks, mom (I don't know why she was cooking on her birthday, but it was good!) made salmon, I brought up some foccacia bread that I made, sis picked up the obligatory pancit (really chow mein), and my sis also made her famous caesar salad.  When I asked my mom earlier in the week what sort of cake or birthday dessert she wanted she thought for a minute about the things I knew how to make and burst out with "Cream puffs!" 

We decided to get more creative than I had been in the past and while we did make the classic vanilla cream puffs with chocolate sauce, we also made mango whipped cream filled cream puffs.

I had a lot more fun filling these than I usually do because since my mom is a crazy baking machine (check out her own blog here) she has every gadget known to man and let me use her injector!!  I got to inject whipped cream into every puff.  Ooh, it was fun! 

The recipe for the cream puffs comes from HERE.

I have to admit, I didn't really take note of the amount of mango puree I folded into my whipped cream. 

I followed the whipped cream instructions on the site with the recipe, then I just kept adding spoonful after spoonful and tasting until it was fantastic.  So, how's that for a measurement?  "Enough mango puree to make it fantastic."  Ha ha!!  Oh we did add a packet of gelatin powder to the whipped cream to help keep it nice and fluffy even with the mango puree.  That was my mom's bit of baking wisdom there. 
  
So instead of a traditional birthday cake, mom got to stick her birthday candle atop a mountain of cream puffs.  Yum.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear God,
  Thank you for my mom.  Thank you for all that she has done to keep our family healthy and happy.  Please bless her with many more years.  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Heavenly Father,
    Thank you for providing Val with all this wonderful knowledge of tasty food so that she may share it with us! Amen!!!

    Your creams puffs are divine and this version sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!! Thanks Kerry! I might have to make these again soon. They might make an impromptu appearance at American Thanksgiving this year. My mom gave me the injector!!! Woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gelatin was to stabilize the whipping cream. I am glad you enjoyed using the injector. Thanks for my creative birthday cake-cream puff. Dad and I finished the last 2 pieces. Yummmm.

    ReplyDelete