Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Chicken Curry

Since apparently I've given up meal planning for this week I thought tonight's dinner was bound to be a flop.  I was mistaken!  Jon rated tonight's dinner somewhere between 4.5-5.  Cool. 

Whenever I ask my mom for dinner ideas she usually ends up telling me to go look in one of the cook books that's she's given me.  Last time I talked to her about food she told me that these were the cookbooks she used while we were growing up.  So while I was recently looking in the "Let's Cook with Nora" book by Nora Daza I found a recipe for chicken curry. 

I was a bit skeptical about this curry.  All of the indian recipes I've made before (butter chicken, vindaloo, tikka masala) require many hours of marinating and this didn't require any, so I didn't think it could taste all that great.  It tastes fantastic!!  What's more is that it doesn't require that many ingredients!!  It's a winner.  I didn't have to think too far ahead and it tastes great. 

At first I thought I would make this version from allrecipes.  But I went with Nora instead.  The two are very similar anyways.  Here's what I did!

Chicken Curry
(adapted from Let's Cook with Nora by Nora V. Daza)

Ingredients
1lb of chicken
1 can of coconut milk
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 an onion diced
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp curry powder
1tbsp chili powder
1tbsp oil
1tsp salt


1.  Saute garlic and onion in oil. 

2.  Drop in chicken pieces and cook covered for 5 minutes.

3.  Add curry powder, chili powder, and salt and stir until well combined.

4.  Pour in coconut milk and diced tomatoes.  Bring up to a boil.

5.  Simmer on low for 45 minutes allowing the sauce to reduce until thick and chicken is cooked through. 

Serve over hot rice!!


This was easily the easiest Indian style food I've ever made.  It will definitely become a more frequent dish on the weeknight menu.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear Heavenly Father, 
 thank you for wonderful days with friends and their babies that bring a bit of rest and refreshment throughout the week.  Father, help me prepare for this weekend.   Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooh!!!!! Yum!!!! Thank you! I think we have most of the ingredients.....it really isn't that expensive and looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete