Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Light Rye Caraway Rolls

At first I was thinking about making a batch of bagels this afternoon, but I thought some rolls might be a bit more versatile, so I went with that idea instead.  Most of the time when I make rolls I usually end up making herb rolls, but since I was thinking breakfast and lunch food for the kids I thought I'd leave room for peanut butter and jelly compatibility too, hence the switch to rye rolls. 

I've never actually made these before, it was an experiment!  I'm really happy with the way they turned out though.  Once again I used the breadmaker, but if you've read a few bread type posts on this blog (like this one or this one) you'll know what to do if you don't have one. 

I think the first time I came to appreciate rye bread was while I was spending time discerning at St. Walburga's in Colorado.  The bread they put out for breakfast was rye and they always had honey on the table that I ended up spreading on it (instead of jam).  I became somewhat addicted to the really good bread with a touch of butter and a smear of honey.  When I have rye in the mornings now I'll usually add a dash of cinnamon too.  Hmm....I wonder if I can tweak this into a honey-cinnamon roll recipe sometime.  That might be fun. 

I do something a little different with my rolls.  I boil them before I bake them.  I think I saw bagels being boiled on a food show one time and thought it was interesting and I thought I'd try it.  I wanted to give them the sort of texture that bagels have so I boiled them and I really liked the result. 

Anyways, here's the roll recipe in case you feel a carb craving coming on like I did.

Oh and by "light" I don't mean low fat necessarily, I mean light rye instead of dark rye.
Light Rye Caraway Rolls
(my own experiment)

Ingredients
1 1/4c warm water
2 tsp salt
3tbsp honey
2tbsp butter
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 c all purpose flour
1/2c rye flour
1tbsp caraway seeds
1tbsp vital wheat gluten
2 1/4 tsp yeast

quart or more of water
1tbsp sugar


Method
1.  Add the first 10 ingredients in the order listed into your bread maker pan on dough setting.

2.  Take out the dough after the cycle has completed and divide into 12 equal pieces.  Shape into balls. 

3.  Boil a quart (or maybe more) of water in a small pot with 1tbsp of sugar.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

4.  Drop each ball of dough into the boiling water for 30seconds-1 minute then pull out with a slotted spoon and put it on the cookie/baking sheet you'll be baking it on.

5.  Once all the dough balls have been boiled score a cross on top of each one 1/4 inch deep (this will help them keep their shape and not explode on the bottom).

6.  Bake in the 400 degree oven for about 12 minutes until the tops are golden brown.

Enjoy with honey and cinnamon in the morning or some cheese and salami in the afternoon or with dinner! 



In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear God,
thank you for the smell of fresh bread.  Thank you for coming to us humbly as bread so that we might be able to be as close to you as food and drink.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment