Thursday, October 27, 2011

Chili crusted steak with cilantro butter and cheddar mashed potatoes

If you're thinking that you've read this somewhere before, you're not crazy.  This is what Jon had when we went on our date at The Stone House.  The only difference is that Jon had a filet mignon and there was asparagus and red pepper coulis.  Both the asparagus and filet mignon were too expensive at the moment and to be honest I forgot about the red pepper coulis.  Oh well. 

Unfortunately the recipe I got from the food network did not imitate the chili crusted masterpiece at Stone House at all.  It was still pretty tasty, but it was really spicy and didn't really have the same flavors.  Eh, what do you expect?  I am not a very experienced or trained chef with my own restaurant. 

I think if I had tried this on its own, not trying to imitate the best food I've ever tasted I would probably be more satisfied with this dish.  But all in all I think it was a decent attempt. 

We'll see what Jon thinks whenever he gets home from his 14+ hour day.  Darned software ...grrr....


The Recipe for the Chile Crusted Steak is Here.  It's from Bobby Flay.  I didn't use the filet mignons or the chili sauce with mushrooms.  I found some reasonably priced western grillers at the butcher shop on Tuesday so I thought I'd try those.  They were okay, I think if I tried this again I'd probably go with a Top Sirloin.  I might also try a different combination of chiles.  Maybe chipotle?  Hmmm...

I had to grind my own chile de arbol and pasilla chile powder.  Yay for the Magic Bullet.

The spice mixture looked pretty cool.

Dredging the steak in the chile mixture.

Steak in the pan searing on the first side.  I cooked it for 5 minutes on the first side.

I did 7 minutes on the second side, but unfortunately I found out after a few bites that it wasn't enough.  My steak ended up being medium when I was going more for medium well.  I needed to return it to the pan for a few minutes.  This was pretty annoying especially after letting it rest for 10 minutes, but preggos probably shouldn't be eating bloody steaks.

For the cheddar mash I just used russets, butter, salt, and cheddar.  Sorry, no real measurements. 
I washed, cut, then boiled them and mashed with a good old potato masher.  I'm a little scared to use machinery with potatoes since the 3 or 4 times I have they've gone gluey.  Ick.


Cheddar mashed potatoes, sorry for the horrible shot.

For the cilantro butter I took about 5 tbsp of butter and a handful of fresh cilantro and threw them in the magic bullet.  I am not really sure what they did at the Stone House, but it was so much better than this.  Maybe more salt?  Or maybe it was fresh butter that they made at the restaurant.  Who knows.  Maybe someday if I get to be a famous food blogger I can go and pick at the chef's mind.


You may be thinking, geez that looks charred, but it wasn't burnt at all.  That's just what happens to the color of the chile powder after it's been seared.  No burnt taste I promise!

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear God,
  thank you for humbling moments.  Help us all to remember that it's not our actions or characteristics that give us value or dignity, but the sheer fact that we are made in your image and likeness and loved infinitely by you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment