Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hummus

Didn't do too much cooking tonight.  Jon suggested that we just have the siopao leftovers for dinner.  What wife can complain when her husband asks for leftovers?  So with my little bit of extra time I decided to make some hummus.

Clare loves hummus and I thought if there's a good amount left over I could serve some at girl's night on Friday. 

Oh and when I say loves hummus, I mean she eats it alone.  I'll give her stuff to eat it with or spread it on, but those all end up being used as spoons.  I can't blame her.  This stuff is pretty darned good.  I'm not sure if it's the recipe or if it's just because it's so fresh, but I've never had better.  Instead of giving myself all the credit for that I'll thank David Lebovitz.  It's his recipe.

Check it out.  I think the pictures he took are much better than any of the ones I would have taken, so it's a much nicer blog post to look at.

Cabbagetown Hummus

One thing I did differently today than I normally do is that I made my own tahini!  The last time I sent Jon to the grocery for some tahini I almost cried when he told me the organic tahini cost like $13.  What the heck?  So after I learned that the lovely food processor that I got for my birthday (Thanks Ma!!) could make nut butters, I figured it must be able to make tahini too right?  Yes!  It was super easy too. 

All I did was dump a cup of sesame seeds in and let the food processor do it's thing for like 5 minutes or slightly more.  I had to scrape down the sides a few times.  After a little processing it was nice and smooth just like my $13 bottle.  Ugh, $13?!?!  So crazy.  Needless to say I will continue to frequent the bulk section for sesame seeds instead of emptying my wallet the next time I want to make hummus.  1cup of sesame seeds makes 1/2c of tahini.

You should definitely try this
1) because there's raw garlic in it and that's really good for your immune system
2) because garbanzo beans/chickpeas are good for you  Check it out!  Lots of protein, fiber, B6 and folate
3) because it's so good!!!

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear God,
  Thank you for the joy of children.  Thank you for their innocence, curiosity, and excitement.  Help all of us to grow more like them every day.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dear,
    I leave in France, I wish you the best.
    Have a nice day.
    Melvin

    ReplyDelete