Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Spanish Chicken and Rice or Arroz con Pollo

So if you don't know me and you haven't guessed from the blog yet, I'm of Filipino ethnicity.  My parents made the big trip over a few years before I was born, so I guess I'm considered a first generation Filipino.

Something that my mom never let me forget growing up was that a large part of our heritage is from Spain.  A lot of the food we had growing up was not only Filipino, but had a lot of spanish influences.  I don't think I really understood the big deal about our Spanish heritage until I went to Spain 6 years ago.

When I spent some time in Salamanca not only did I get very close to the town my ancestors must have come from (it was the same name as my maiden name!), but all the food seemed so familiar!  The flavors and dishes seemed like they were coming right out of my mom's kitchen.  It was so great!  At that point in my travels I had been in Europe for about a month and it was just so comforting to eat something that reminded me of home.  Who knew I could find a little bit of home in a country I'd never been in?

So anyways, this dish reminded me of that.  It's a bit funny, because my mom has never actually made this, but the first time I tried it, I was reminded a bit of my mom's paella.  She makes it at Christmas and Easter and it's probably my favorite Holiday (Holy Day) food.

This recipe comes from allrecipes.com and is a great weeknight meal idea. 
I've taken a few liberties with it like adding chorizo!  My mom puts chorizo in her paella, so when I saw that my local butcher shop makes their own fresh chorizo, I had to try it in this!  I also don't use pimentos, but substitute green peppers and pimentos with red peppers.

Tonight I had an unfortunate ingredient deficiency.  I didn't have any chicken stock, so I had to use water.  I don't think the dish was too bland though.  It was probably saved by the extra onion, garlic, and chorizo that I threw in there just in case!  When you make it, don't forget the chicken stock!

Arroz con Pollo
(adapted from HERE)

Ingredients
2lbs chicken thighs
1 chorizo sausage cut into chunks
1 onion diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 red bell pepper diced
1 cup peas
1  1/4cup rice
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1tbsp butter
1tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp chili pdr
1/2 cup flour
1tsp garlic pdr
salt and pepper to taste


Method

1.  Mix together flour, garlic pdr, and some salt and pepper.

2.  Dredge chicken in flour mixture and brown in melted butter in a large pot or skillet.

3.  Once the chicken is nicely browned set it aside.

4.  Saute the garlic, onion, red pepper, and chorizo in the same pan (complete with leftover drippings and brown bits) that you browned the chicken in.  Saute until everything is softened.


I forgot to add the chorizo tonight with the veggies.  I didn't remember until I had added the rice.

5.  Add the rice, turn the temp down and cook for a couple minutes still stirring.

6.  Add the broth, turmeric, chili powder, and a bit more salt and pepper.  Bring up to a boil. 

I couldn't resist adding a dash of this to the dish.  I don't honestly know what, if anything, it added, I just know it's really popular in spanish cooking.  No it's not in the ingredients.

7.  Pour into a baking dish and top with chicken and peas.

Before I added the chicken and peas.


8. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to an hour until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice and the chicken is done.

Ready to go into the oven!

On my plate and ready to be devoured!  Yum!


In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.
Dear heavenly Father,
  thank you for every blessing and every trial you send us throughout the day.  Help us to constantly accept the grace you give us to live holy lives full of the fruits of your Spirit.  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Again...you never fail to get my appetite going! This sounds absolutely delicious and I loved your background story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VAL you rock my kitchen!!! I just made this and I loooove it! Added some Tabasco too. SO good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I'm so glad you tried it! It's like comfort food isn't it?

    ReplyDelete