Sunday, September 11, 2011

Beef Pho, sort of.

Some of you have seen this post on facebook, some of you haven't.  Yet others of you have been around when I've made Pho and had the pleasure (or so you say) of trying it.  I think it's pretty good. 

Jon loves Pho and until ....around 6 months ago(I think) I had never tried making it.  Every time we went to a Pho restaurant Jon would say something like, "We should really learn how to make this at home." or "I'd love to learn how to make this."  To which I'd chuckle because...well for those of you who witnessed Jon's cooking habits in college....you know.  Let's just say Pho is a bit more involved than heating up a costco burrito or making scrambled eggs.  Ha ha ha!! Poor husband.  I kid!  I kid!  He does other things in the kitchen sometimes, like make steak.  One time he really impressed me for Valentine's and make some filet mignons with bordelaise sauce.  It was amazing!

I digress.  Back to the Pho.  And that's pronounced "Fuh" and not "Poe"  hee hee!  My dad always says "Poe" and I still don't know what happened to the "H". 

The preparation isn't actually all that involved, but tonight I wasn't at my Pho best because mommy brain caught up to me and I just forgot to get a bunch of things while we were at Central Market after Mass.  No cilantro for garnish, no noodles, and no beef stock.  It was....okay.  But every other time I've made it, it's been mouth wateringly good. Whenever you make it, it will be delicious!  Just don't forget to actually buy ingredients like I did today.  Sigh.  Here's the recipe!!

I've read a few (like 4 or 5 I don't remember) pho recipes online and sort of mashed a few together.
I hope I don't offend any Vietnamese friends with my recipe.  It tastes great to us, so I hope you like it!
Oh and pay no attention to the noodles in the picture.  We usually use vermicelli noodles but mommy crazy brains forgot to get some at the store and had to make due with pad thai noodles instead.  Bah.


Pho Val style
1lb of beef stew meat.
4 or 5 cloves of garlic minced
2 thumb sized chunks of fresh ginger minced
1 large onion chopped
1 large cinnamon stick
2 star anise pods
3-4 tbsp fish sauce (Patis for you filipinos)
1 carton of beef stock (organic without msg is best!)
oil for sauteing

1/2 package Rice vermicelli noodles.


1.   Saute garlic, onions and ginger in a dutch oven or stock pot until the onions become translucent and the garlic and ginger are soft.

2.  Add stew meat and saute until brown.

3.  Add a carton of beef broth and fill the pot with about 3 quarts of water.  Bring it all to a boil and then let it simmer for ....hours.  At least 4 hours.

4.  Add your noodles to another pot of boiling water and boil for 3 -4 minutes until soft. 

Assembly goes something like this.  Noodles go in the bottom of the bowl.  Then I usually ladle in some broth, pick out a few chunks of meat, and top with whatever condiments you want.
Jon usually likes cilantro as a topping and sometimes Jalapeno slices.  Some people use bean sprouts and sriracha sauce (type of hot sauce) too. 

See?  Saute, brown and simmer.  Easy peasy.

I've seen some recipes for the broth that use beef knuckle and lemongrass, but I didn't use those.  Every now and then I'll add beef soup bones or marrow bones too.

I think traditionally the meat is sliced really thin and is cooked in the super hot broth right before it's served, but I don't really do that.  If the broth has reduced a lot by the time you're done simmering it you can always add more water and just bring it up to a boil.
Hope you like it!

In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear Heavenly Father thank you for this soup which has nourished us tonight.  Thank you for the ease of preparation and my children's extreme love of noodles.  You never cease to provide for us, thank you for our blessings.  Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm... This sounds great! I love the idea of putting in the meat early, makes the pre-dinner rush much simpler. I tried pho once because it's one of Adam's favorites, but my spices were off and I got the complete wrong noodle. Maybe this time I can get it right! :) I love learning from my culinarily gifted friends! What a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's funny. I remember looking at all those recipes and thinking, "A cinnamon stick? Star Anise? Really?" but really, it's soo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we went through a bit of experimentation to get the right noodle. The first try was too thing, and the second was too thick. I can't remember the name of the correct one...

    It's also funny, because Val has asked me to taste it in the past, and I had never had it without a ton of cilantro (which is added after the Pho is added to a bowl while it's still steaming), so I wasn't much help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *too thin, not too thing

    ReplyDelete