Thursday, September 15, 2011

Home made Cheese crackers

So today for dinner we had burgers (freezer leftovers from the other night) again.  Since I didn't have to make dinner I used kiddo nap time for other productive things.  Like making Cheese crackers!!!

Jon used to be a Cheezit addict, but now that we're organic and so picky about the ingredients we consume we don't usually buy crackers anymore.   It's SO hard to find an organic cracker without soy or MSG in it.  Jon read something that says MSG often masquerades as yeast extract in things.  Yuck.  I know, we're crazy about the food thing.  But honestly, I feel a lot healthier and better about what I feed my kids when we stay away from all that. 

I thought our life would pretty much just have to be Cheezit free forever until I saw this link on my friend Shannon's fb wall!  I had to try them.  The first time Jon and I made these (yeah he helped he was so excited!) was at my mom's house while we were visiting.  At the time I didn't have a food processor and I wasn't sure that any old mixer could handle this job.  They turned out great tasting, but we didn't roll them thin enough so they tasted more like cheesy biscuits.  Clare loved them though, so I knew I'd try them again.

I don't know why it's taken me this long, since I've had a food processor since my birthday (thanks mom!), but today I finally tried again while the kiddos were napping.  I love naptime! 
Oh and the great thing about the food processor is that mine grates cheese!  So I didn't even have to grate the cheese for this recipe!  It came together in like 2 minutes!!!  The toughest part was rolling it out.


There's the ball of dough in the food processor ready to be rolled out!

The recipe says to roll them to 3/8th of an inch, but you should really roll them thinner.  Like, as thin as you can get them without them falling apart when you pick them up. 

To make rolling easier and so I didn't have to add a bunch of flour I rolled the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. 

Unfortunately my rolling techniques aren't fabulous yet and I came up with some thick spots and thin spots, but hey, the crackers still taste good!


Also, the person who posted this on her blog made them into cute little heart shapes, but I don't have cute cookie cutters, so I went with rectangle/square shapes.  I can't cut straight, don't make fun of me! 

You really have to try making these!!  They're wonderful!! 

Here's the finished product!  Yum.



Since I had left over egg whites, I used those as a substitution for one of the eggs in an oatmeal cookie recipe.  I'll have to post that some other day.  I'm just too exhausted at the moment. 
Go make yourself some cheese crackers!  You won't regret it, but that cracker company might.

Here's the link again in case you haven't noticed the links all over this blog post.


 In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.
Dear God, thank you for the gift of wonderful snacks and thank you for the internet so that we can stay close to our friends from far away and share great recipes!!  Help us to use these gifts and everything that you give us for your glory.  Amen.

UIOGD.


4 comments:

  1. Val, these look amazing! Even though I don't like cheese crackers... I'd make these if I had kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration! I should start reading those fish cracker labels...now I am concerned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Kerry you're hilarious. Cheese crackers are inspiring? Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe turned out really well. I think the main differences between these and CheezIts are having only eight ingredients instead of thirty or so (slight exaggeration, I know) and a lack of too much salt.

    ReplyDelete