Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bicol Express (I think it's like the Filipino version of Green Curry)

So you may or may not have noticed that I didn't blog yesterday.  That's pretty much because we had BBQ chicken sandwiches.  Kinda like pulled pork, except pulled chicken.  Not the most exciting thing in the world to me.  But if the idea of BBQ chicken in a bun makes your mouth water, let me know in the comments and I"ll give you a recipe for BBQ sauce so you can make your own! 

Tonight's recipe is a bit more exciting!  Bicol Express! 


Doesn't that look good?

I think it's the Filipino version of a Thai green curry.  At least that's what I tell friends who are like "Bico what?" 

Two years ago, my mom started to make this dish all of a sudden.  It was a bit strange, because while I was growing up my mom made so many different filipino dishes I just figured that she'd used up her whole filipino repertoire on us already.  Then all of a sudden here comes some curry like dish that I'd never seen before that is AMAZING!  What the heck?  It's like she was holding out on us or something.  Where did that come from anyways ma?

Well anywhoo, apparently this dish is from an area called Bicol and it's one of their signature dishes.  Maybe my friend Jo can comment and tell you more about it because she's from there.  I unfortunately do not have a plethora of knowledge about the Philippines.  I'm what they call....a coconut.  Brown on the outside and white on the inside.  Sort of.....maybe I'm a light tan color on the inside.  In any case, this dish is amazing and it's really easy to make.  It will make your whole house smell exotic and delicious!!

Here's what you need to get started.

Bicol Express
(one of those nebulous recipes that comes out of my mom's head.)
4-5 cloves of garlic minced
half a large onion diced
thumb sized chunk of ginger minced
1tbsp oil
1lb pork cut into chunks (I used pork shoulder again)
2-3 tbsp of shrimp paste/ bagoong /sauteed shrimp paste (I'll show you a picture)
1 can of coconut milk
1tsp turmeric
1 jalapeno diced
2 serrano chiles diced
2 anaheim chiles/peppers cut into chunks

(completely optional and not traditional, 2 handfuls of green beans)


Just so you know, I didn't use all that garlic.  After I peeled it off, I realized that I had double what I needed. 


1.  Saute your garlic, onion and ginger in the oil until soft.
2.  Add your pork and saute until just browned on the outside.
3.  Put in 2tbsp shrimp paste (add more to taste, sometimes this can get really salty) and stir until it coats everything.
So for all you filipinos wondering......  Yes it's supposed to be bagoong, but I can't find any bagoong here that isn't loaded with MSG.  So I had to wander off to the Thai section of the grocery and luckily I found this stuff that is just bagoong paste.  The color is a bit lighter, but the taste is right on.  Good thing too, or no Bicol Express for me!



4.  Add the coconut milk and turmeric and bring to a boil.


5.  Once it boils add all your chiles and turn the temp down to low and let it simmer for at least 30 minutes.  Preferably an hour so that the pork is fork tender (that means you can mash it with a fork). 
That's it!  Yum.  If you want to give your veggies for the night some flavor I highly suggest throwing in a few handfuls of green beans so that they're coated in the curry sauce.  The consistency of the green beans is great with the chiles.  Serve it over hot rice! 
  



Oh and for those of your worried about spice, it's not crazy spicy.  If you want it spicier add more chiles, and if you like it less just use the anaheim peppers with a tiny bit of jalapeno.  I'd say that mine is probably 2 out of 5 stars.  It's got just a bit of heat in the finish.


In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for our joyful day and our satisfying dinner.  When we eat spicy and salty dishes like this help us to remember that "We are the salt of the earth."  Amen.


3 comments:

  1. I'm hungry AGAIN! That looks de-LISH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to have this recipe!!! Yum! Also possibly just in time for my baby freezer meal stash, do you think coconut milk freezes well? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josie it does freeze well! I've made this for my sister's baby freezer meal stash and it was apparently great!

    ReplyDelete