Sunday, September 18, 2011

Beef and Spinach burritos

I don't think this is really Mexican at all, so I apologize to my Mexican readers.  This is just another American filling in a tortilla.  Oh, but it is good.  And it is soooooo easy!  At the moment, easy is a really good thing. 
(I think this happens to be pretty good pregnancy food too, because there's a ton of protein, iron and folic acid in it.  Yay spinach!) 

But really, the only thing easier than this is probably calling for take out, which we did yesterday because I was too much of a blob on the couch and didn't make it to Trader Joe's to get the special cheese I needed to make that pizza I was planning on making.  Oh well.  C'est la vie.

My mom has been making these burritos since I was a kid.  When I asked her where she got the recipe (thinking there was some great story to it, since there usually is) she simply reponded, "I think I clipped it out of a magazine."  Huh.  Sometime you just strike gold when you least expect it.
Unforunately she couldn't find the magazine clipping, so I had to go hunting on the internet for the recipe and I found it!

Here!

The person on the blog also got it from a Beef ad in a magazine and after showing the recipe to mom, she confirmed that this was in fact the one she used over and over.

I made one adjustment.  I didn't use frozen spinach, but used fresh instead because I hate waiting for things to thaw and drain.  I will avoid it at all costs.  I just picked up a container of baby spinach and did a quick rough chop on about 2/3 of the container.





So all you have to do is brown the beef.  Season it with cumin and chili powder.


Add the chopped spinach.


Add the salsa.

Add the cheese and you're done!  Make sure to take it off the heat, so you don't burn the cheese.  The hot beef and spinach will melt the cheese quickly enough.

Then wrap it in a handy dandy homemade tortilla (Recipe HERE!  I used butter not shortening!!) and enjoy.

Yes I made my own tortillas.  That was not so easy, because you have to roll them all out.  I'm not such an expert at rolling and half of the tortillas turned out square!  Ha ha ha!  Jon had a good laugh watching me try to roll those out.  Once again, I made them because it's hard to find organic tortillas made without soybean oil.

I apologize.  This preggo was too darned hungry to take a picture of the wrapped up burrito.  It went straight into my mouth without a picture.  You'll just have to make it yourself to see what it looks like as a finished product!
In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear God,  We thank you for this food which graced our table today and the ease of preparation involved.   Thank you for the gift of this new life coming to join our family.  Thank you God for my husband who is willing to pick up take out.  Amen.

4 comments:

  1. You made homemade tortillas??? Good on you!! We get the whole wheat organic tortillas from trader joes...they are cheap which is great but the whole wheat kind is a bit stiffer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, oh and the homemade ones are soooo good. I have tried making them with wheat flour before, but I find that they come out too stiff just like the TJ ones. I'm pretty sure the trader joe's ones also have some form of soy in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and very good, though the most enjoyable part is watching Val try to roll circles out of dough. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I'll just have you roll out the tortillas Jon!! :P

    ReplyDelete