Monday, October 31, 2011

Chili

Tonight's dinner was incredibly easy to fix and can be a great crock pot dinner if you are organized early enough in the day.  Today I was not so organized, so it just simmered on the stove for an hour and a half.

There's not much of a history to this one.  I was just craving chili one day and I'd never made it before so I went hunting for a recipe on allrecipes.com.  The original recipe calls for turkey.  I have used turkey before and it has turned out well, but recently there have been a lot of contaminated ground turkey scares so I haven't bought any ground turkey for a while.  I think it also tastes a bit better with ground beef, so that's what I made tonight.

One of the great things about looking for recipes on recipe websites is that you can look at reviews.  I tweaked the original recipe a lot based on reviews I read from other people who had tried the recipe and I like the upgraded version much better. 

Usually (when I'm organized) I'll make a side of cornbread to go with the chili, but tonight since I was pretty out of it I just threw a bunch of corn into the chili.  I know, definitely not the same, but at least you still get that nice sweetness of the corn in there.  I also tried adding spinach tonight because I'm starting to really like sneaking spinach into things.  It worked well and added another vegetable serving in there!

Here's what I did.

Chili
adapted from Simple Turkey Chili recipe on allrecipes.com

Ingredients
1lb ground beef
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 large carrot diced
2 anaheim chiles diced(I usually use 1 bell pepper, but I had the anaheims in the fridge and didn't want to waste them)
2 cups chicken broth (or beef broth should work well too)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and partially mashed
2 cups chopped spinach
1cup corn (I used frozen)
2 tblsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
*the original recipe also had 1/2 tsp cayenne which is nice, but I leave it out now so that it's not spicy for the kiddos.  Jon still adds a dash after it's made.  Don't add the cayenne until the last minute if you're making it in a crock pot though!


Method
1.  Brown the ground beef in a large pot.

2.  Add the onion and saute with the beef until the onion is softened.


3.  Add the garlic, carrot and chiles and saute until the chiles start to soften.

4.  Add the spinach, tomatoes, beans, broth, and spices and mix well.  Bring it up to a boil on med-high heat and then lower the temperature and let it simmer for at least 40 minutes covered or more until all the veggies are tender. 
Spinach
Tomatoes and beans

Broth

Spices

5.  Take the lid off and add the frozen corn and simmer it for another 15 minutes to let some liquid evaporate so it's a thicker chili.

This works well in a crock pot too!  Just throw everything in a crock pot after step 3 and let it go all day.
It's very filling and has a lot of protein and fiber.  It's also nice with a bit of shredded cheddar on top.  Mmmm...

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear God,
  please bless and protect all those out celebrating All Hallow's Eve tonight.  Keep them safe and help them remember the incredible Feast of All Saints tomorrow.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment