Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pork Satay with Peanut Sauce

I'm finally back to the blogging world with something delicious.  I haven't made this dish for a while.  Actually I suppose I've never made this dish the way I did today.  The Satay recipe I found actually uses chicken and I've made it with chicken a few times before, but tonight I thought I'd see what would happen if I used pork.

It was a really good switch.  I might not go back to chicken. 

The ingredients in this aren't too rare.  You may keep these things in your pantry on a regular basis.  The weirdest thing on here may be fish sauce (patis).  Pretty much every Filipino home will have this in the cupboard, but it might be a specialty item for the rest of you.  Have no fear, a bottle lasts a long time.  It's a good investment for many yummy recipes!

The peanut sauce in this recipe I think is especially good.  The sauce yield is pretty large, so you'll have some left over in case you want to repeat this a few days later, or serve it with some rice noodles the next day.  My toddler girl devoured her noodles in peanut sauce.  She kept talking about how much she liked peanut butter while she ate.  I wish I took a video!  Ha ha! 

I think that satay is actually supposed to be skewered and barbecqued meat, but since I don't have a real bbq and I didn't feel like pulling out the electric grill I just baked my meat in the oven.  The flavor was still great, so I'm convinced that it would be even better on a bbq.  If you ever try this recipe out on a grill, let me know how it goes. 

Oh, I also made this peanut sauce without the chile peppers to keep it kid friendly.  If you like it spicy, add them in!


Pork Satay with Homemade Peanut Sauce

Ingredients
For marinade:
1lb pork country ribs cut into 1x2 inch chunks
3 cloves of garlic minced
2tsp ginger root minced
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce

For sauce:
2tsp oil
1/2c onion minced
3 cloves garlic minced
1tbsp ginger root minced
1/2c peanut butter
1 can coconut milk
2tsp soy sauce
2tsp brown sugar
5tsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice

Method
1.  Toss the first four ingredients in a bowl until the pork is covered in marinade.  Cover and marinate for at least 1 hour.  I marinated mine for about 3 hours.

2.  Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat and stir in onions, garlic, and ginger (and chiles if you're using them).  Cook until the onions are soft and start to brown.


I don't know why the picture is like this.  You'll notice that my onions are not minced finely.  I should have read the recipe more closely.  I ended up having to puree my sauce after it was done so that there weren't huge chunks of onions in it.  To avoid having to do that you might want to just mince the onion, garlic, and ginger in a food processor in the beginning.

3.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

4.  Reduce the heat to low and stir in the peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.  You may need to use a whisk to blend everything together well. 

5.  Simmer gently for about 10 minutes and keep warm. 

6.  Bake your pork in the oven for 30 minutes or until no pink is left in the center (or grill on a bbq).  Serve with the warm peanut sauce over rice stick noodles!





In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear Heavenly Father,
  A lot of friends and family are suffering from various illnesses and other concerns at the moment.  Please help comfort everyone during these trying times and help us to always remember that you are always with us through trials.  Help us to offer up our sufferings and pray for those who have no one to pray for them.  Amen. 

1 comment: