Thursday, July 12, 2012

Coconut Gelato

I know it's been a long time, but that's sort of what having a brand new baby does to an amateur blogger like me.  I guess it took something amazing to jolt me out of blogging hibernation.  To be honest I've been doing incredibly.....boring things in the kitchen for the last few months, but this, I couldn't keep this to myself.

A few days ago I got some organic unsweetened shredded coconut in the bulk section at Central Market.  I intended to use it to make homemade Lara bars (thanks pinterest!), but the idea of coconut gelato kept enticing me.  I had it last week at the Spotted Cow and memories of having ice cream on the beach at our honeymoon resort in Mexico just came flooding back.  I love food related memories!  Ha ha!  Oh yeah, and the honeymoon was pretty fun in general! 

I think I can safely say that this recipe is mostly me.  I take the principles from David Lebovitz's pistachio gelato recipe and then I tweak it a lot.  To be honest, it'd probably be easier to use coconut milk, but I like the texture and flavor I got with my experimentation.  So here it is!

Coconut Gelato

Ingredients - choose organic!!
1c shredded coconut
1c boiling water
2c half and half
1/2c whole milk
2/3c evaporated cane sugar
3tbsp cornstarch

Procedure
1.  Combine boiling water and shredded coconut and let soak for 45 minutes to an hour.

2.  After soaking the coconut process in a blender until it looks like a paste or puree. 

3.  In a medium saucepan combine the half and half and sugar.  Heat stirring constantly.

4.  Combine the whole milk and cornstarch until there are no more lumps. 

5.  Add the cornstarch/milk mixture to the half and half when the heated half and half just starts to boil.

6.  Turn down the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until it is thickened.  Keep stirring constantly!

7.  Add the coconut puree and stir to combine well.

8.  Cool the mixture completely and process in your ice cream maker.  Set in the freezer for at least 2 hours before serving or else it'll be soft serve consistency. 

Note!**As with any gelato or ice cream recipe I post make sure you take your gelato out 10 minutes before you intend to serve it for the right consistency.  Since I don't use heavy whipping cream or egg yolks it'll need a few minutes to soften up because of the lower fat content.   

Sorry about the lack of pictures.  I didn't think to blog about it until I was processing it in the ice cream bowl.  This is pretty fantastic gelato.  I like the texture of the shredded coconut.  If you like your ice cream smoother you can strain the coconut puree through cheesecloth or probably use a can of thick coconut milk instead.  I might try making this with some mango puree mixed in sometime, or I might swirl some mango puree in after the coconut gelato is frozen.  Try it out!  Let me know what you think!


In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Dear Heavenly Father,
thank you for wonderful memories, tropical vacations, and the warmth and sunshine that come with summer.  Help us to enjoy every moment and be joyful so that we can bring your light to everyone we meet.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment