Monday, January 9, 2012

Food for your Face 1 - Oatmeal Scrub

A few of you who are my friends know that I like to try to go natural/organic with all my skin care and bath products too.

So I'm going to post a few recipes for your skin that you might like to try.  I know that the face wash at least is a pretty big hit with some friends and relatives.

Here's the first one!

"Fix my face" oatmeal scrub (after Jon started using this he said that it totally fixed his face)

Ingredients
2 parts oatmeal
1 part sugar
honey (enough to make a paste)

Procedure
1. Put the oatmeal and sugar into a blender and process until both the oatmeal and sugar are powdery.  If the mixture is too coarse it will scratch your face too much, so try to get it as powdery as you can.

2.  Place your powder in whatever container you'll be using for your face scrub and slowly add honey while stirring.  Add just enough to make it into a paste.  It might be stiff at first, but the next day it will feel more like liquid, so don't add a lot of honey.  Just make sure there's no leftover powder pockets or dry powder in the mix.

3.  Use it!  You can use it right away!!  If you want more of a mask experience apply a few tablespoons to a dry face, leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse off with warm water.  Your face will feel firm, soft and pretty much fantastic afterwards.
To use it as a daily scrub/cleanser apply about a teaspoon to a wet face and rub all over.  Rinse with warm water.
I usually do a 3 step face routine using the oatmeal scrub as the cleanser, witch hazel as the toner, and extra virgin coconut oil as the moisturizer.

You can use it as a body scrub too!

By the way, extra virgin coconut oil on your face?  Yes!  Don't worry, it's amazing.  Not only will you smell like coconut, but it absorbs into your skin quickly (you only need a tiny bit even if you have super dry skin like mine), and it leaves your skin SO soft.


In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Amen.
Dear Heavenly Father,
thank you for giving us all sorts of plants and natural remedies!  You truly provide for everything we could possibly need!  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Love this recipe! I have been using sugar/honey for my face scrub (recommended by Kerry) but I never thought of putting oatmeal in the mix. I too use witch hazel for a toner and that with the honey really does make my skin glow like it never has! Can't wait to try this new concoction =) I have used coconut oil on my skin but I have never put it on my face... It doesn't make your face oily does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, the coconut oil only makes you look shiny for about 5 minutes, but after that you're just super soft and glowing. Just don't use a ton because it will take forever for your face to absorb it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also do weekly coconut oil hair treatments. I melt it in my hands, rub into scalp and hair and leave on for 10-15 minutes before hopping in the shower, between that and a weekly apple cider vinegar rinse, my hair has never been shinier! I love homemade beauty products!

    ReplyDelete