Monday, January 9, 2012

1 hour gtt

So I know I've been absent for a while.  At first it was due to the sicknesses and computer mess ups.  Then the holidays rolled around, we travelled to Canada to be with family and I honestly didn't feel like blogging instead of spending time with my family.  After the Canada trip for Christmas we spent the New Year with Jon's family. 

Throughout the time I haven't been blogging I was trying out lots of recipes for Christmas, baking birthday cakes for my Mother in Law, making gingerbread for Clare's birthday, making fudge and toffee for Christmas, and various other Christmas cookies.  Unfortunately me, pregnancy, and sweets don't do so well together. 

Last Thursday I had my 1 hour glucose tolerance test (the pre-screen for gestational diabetes) and I failed it.  I chalk it up to the taste testing from all my holiday baking and the eating with abandon I did over the holidays.  Let's just stay I didn't exactly stick to my whole foods, organic, balanced diet over the last month or so.  So having the glucose test after the holidays was a pretty upsetting wake up call for this preggo.  Thankfully I have another chance before I'm diagnosed for certain with gestational diabetes.  Sometime in the next 3 weeks I'll be taking a 3 hour glucose tolerance test (not fun) and if I pass that then I'm in the clear. 

I failed my 1 hour gtt with my first pregnancy too, so I'm trying to be hopeful and pro-active thinking that if I just adjust my eating and get back to normal I'll pass the 3 hour (like I did with my first pregnancy). 

In the meantime, I'll probably be posting a few veggie and low carb recipes as I'm trying to swing my blood sugar the other way.  So basically I'm going to be cutting the carbs a ton until I get back to normal and pass my 3 hour gtt for sure. 

Prayers please, as gestational diabetes will really affect my chances of a vbac!

Oh yes, and I'm currently trying to figure out how to get quality grass fed meat that doesn't cost a billion dollars again since my local butcher went out of business.  Blah.  So at the moment I only know where to get good chicken!  I'm hoping that the health store will at least have a some grass fed ground beef and stir fry beef available!

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.
Dear Heavenly Father,
  thank you for modern medicine.  Without it I wouldn't have taken notice of how poorly I was nourishing myself lately.  Please help me reign in my desires for unhealthy food for the health of my baby so that we can have a successful and healthy birth.  Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Not sure about how these prices compare, but they have a delivery in Mill Creek!

    http://www.bluevalleymeats.com/Welcome_Page.html

    ps- loving your face wash recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we've actually ordered from them before. They have stuff from Blue Valley at our health food store here too, so when I can't order sometimes I pick stuff up from there. I guess I'll just have to get back into the swing of meal planning waaaay in advance and ordering stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val: Thanks again for your awesome recipes!

    The Central Market in Mill Creek sells grass fed, organic beef (though Central Market is certainly a pricey place...).

    ReplyDelete